Monday, May 2, 2016

Eye Shadow Primer

Hi lovelies! 

So something recently came to my attention while working at a wedding this weekend. I had a bride who was concerned at our makeup preview about the eye makeup staying on. She claimed, no matter how much eye primer she puts on, her eyeliner still travels! 

Sound familiar?? 

If this is you, look no further. I'm here to help! 

Some of you may be thinking, what is an eye primer?? 
While others may swear by it (I'm one of those!), let me tell you everything you need to know about this product and how to assure that it WILL work! 

1. What is an Eye Primer?

An eyeshadow primer is a great great product that is used as a base for your eyeshadow. I think this is such a wonderful tool in your kit if you need long wearing eye makeup. It helps to lock shadows in place as well as prevent moving, smudging, creasing and increases longevity. 

The part that gets complicated is what products you are pairing with the primer. My bride claimed she used the primer but still had her eyeliner move on her! No matter how much primer she used, she still ended up with the liner at her crease.... which brings me to... 

2. Use the right products.

Turns out, my bride uses an eyeliner crayon. 
Anything that is super creamy can still move and crease, even with the primer. While it may be less moving or creasing, it can still happen over a long period of time. 

So to prevent that, you can try topping it with an eyeshadow of the same color to lock it in. Or you can opt for a different type of liner. 
Gels are wonderful! 
*and my favorite!* 
They are so versatile, you can create a smooth clean line with them or smudge them out for a soft, smokey eye. The best part about them is that they are waterproof and won't budge once they are set. Liquids and long wearing pencils are great too :) 

3. Which primers work? 

There are a couple brands that have great eye primers! Some even come in a shade or with some iridescence-- which I've used if I'm in a hurry and want to brighten my eyes. 

Here are my favorites... 

Too Faced Shadow Insurance
$20
*Photo c/o HSN.com

I've been using this stuff for years! I use it for all my clients, of all skin tones and it works wonders! Nothing travels, moves, or creases with this stuff. A small dollop goes a long way- be sure to apply a thin layer and you're good to go. They also have a couple versions, one for glitter, one with shimmer, etc. But the classic is great. 

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
$20
*Photo c/o urbandecay.com

This is another great no budge primer! They have a few different shades that work beautifully. Sometimes, on my lazy days, I'll take their shadow primer in Minor Sin and apply it all over my lid to brow-- follow with some mascara and call it a day! It's perfect for warm weather days when you just need a quick pick me up without breaking out the shadows and liners! 

Aside from my lazy hack ;) This stuff works wonderfully at holding things in place all day. 


I hope this helped you to understand eye shadow primers and their importance/role in the makeup world! If you have a favorite primer, feel free to share in the comments! 






No comments:

Post a Comment