Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Proper Skin Prep

I always tell my clients, Good makeup starts with Good skincare.
Seen in one of my first blog posts HERE

It's true! 

If you neglect your skin or don't properly prep the skin, applying makeup can be extremely difficult and sometimes almost impossible!

Before I put any makeup on my client's face, I make sure their skin is prepped.
Why is this important? 
It assures a smoother makeup application, long lasting makeup, and an all over better looking application.

So while you're taking care of your body and skin, be sure to follow these tips on how to prep your skin for makeup :) 

Here's how I prepare the skin for all my clients, listing some favorite products along the way.

Step One: Moisturize
I think I've written that word 600 X's on this blog! It is so important to make sure the skin is properly hydrated before applying makeup. I actually make sure to moisturize the face until it feels dewy/moist.
  YES! 
No matter if you're oily, or dry, I make sure the client's skin feels moist to the touch.
Here are a couple moisturizers I favor: 
For oily skin clients: 
Mario Badescu Oil Free moisturizer
Retails at $20
(You can purchase it HERE)
I enjoy using this Mario Badescu Oil Free moisturizer. This line is incredibly affordable and has products for EVERY need! You can even fill out a skin survey HERE to try some new products. Plus, they give away samples with every purchase :)

For Dry Skin client's (or combination with dry patches):
Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre
Retails at $16-$28
(You can purchase it HERE)

I love this Embryolisse moisturizer. It is incredibly hydrating and a little bit goes a long way.

*Additional tip:
 I usually do the eye makeup first-- so after I hydrate the skin, I'll do the eye makeup, and then re-access the skin-- so I'll gently feel the skin and if there is still some dryness (if the skin is really dry in some areas, it can absorb into the skin quickly), I'll re-apply some moisturizer where needed and then finish the face prep. *

Step Two: Lip Balm
Your lips need love too! Be sure to apply a hydrating balm onto the lips so that when you go to apply a lipstick/gloss, it is a smooth application. If you have chapped lips, be sure to take a little sugar and a warm washcloth and gently rub off the dead skin. Then follow with balm/chapstick.

One of my favorite balms is the Rosebud Salve.
Retails at around $6
*You can get it in it's original cute tin, or they now make tubes!*
(You can purchase it HERE)
This has been around forever and is a favorite amongst artists and makeup mavens :) Not to mention, it is multifunctional! It can be used for your dry feet and elbows :)

Step Three: Eye Primer
I will almost always use an eye primer. Its purpose is to even out the tone on your lid, create a solid base for the eye shadow for even color, and to prevent product from creasing.
It is GREAT.
A little goes a long way, so take a tiny dab and apply a thin layer evenly on your lid with your finger, a brush or a sponge.

Here are a couple favorites that work remarkably well!

Urban Decay Shadow Primer Potion
Retails at $20
*also comes in a variety of shades! I love the understated shimmer I get with SIN!*
(You can purchase it HERE)


Too Faced Shadow Insurance
Retails at $18
(You can purchase it HERE)


Step Four: Primer
I apply a primer after I've done the first 3 steps and have done the eye makeup. If the face is no longer dewy and moist, after the eye makeup is finished, I'll apply some more moisturizer where needed and then apply the primer.

A primer is used to create an even base for makeup. It is generally silicone based, which helps makeup adhere and prevent it from moving around too much. It also helps the products to wear all day long! I like using primers (especially for a full face makeup application) because it kind of creates a barrier between your skin and the makeup.
You can apply this with your fingers, a sponge, or a brush.

Some primers I love: 
Smashbox photo Finish primer.
Retails from $17-$49
(You can purchase it HERE)


This is a great universal primer for any skin type. Smashbox has a collection of different types for different purposes-- all of which are great! For example, they have some for color correction (redness, blue undertones), hydrating, and even one with an SPF!

Laura gellar makeup spackle:
Retails at $27
(You can purchase it HERE)


I feel like this primer is very hydrating- It works on all skin types, but if someone is extremely dry-or if I'm doing makeup on more mature skin, I'll use this.

Extra Step: If you want, I also highly suggest using a light eye cream. There is little/no oil production underneath your eyes, so applying a product that is gentle, moisturizing and firming around the eyes, is great!
If you experience excessive dryness around the eyes, I highly suggest this step! It will make any makeup around your eyes (foundation/concealer) look better and prevent it from sinking into fine lines.
Here are two good ones:
Burt's Bee's is a STEAL!
Retailing at $18
(You can purchase it HERE)
Dermacyte is a major SPLURGE!
Retailing at $95!
(You can purchase it HERE)
So remember! Before you apply a full face of makeup on a dry face-- think back to this post and AT LEAST apply a good moisturizer :)


Check out my TV appearance with WCIU's "You & Me This Morning"-- talking about the golden globes, and some makeup tips every woman should know-- INCLUDING skin prep! xo



No comments:

Post a Comment