Monday, September 12, 2016

Oily Skin Tips

Hello loves,

I've been a bit behind in my blogging as I was actually in an accident -- all is okay! but I was out of the office a bit and working on set as it's definitely the "busy season!"

But now that I'm back, I thought I'd help my fellow oily skinned beauties with touching up throughout the day! 

I have combination skin (as does much of the population!) so my skin can become dehydrated quite easily, but becomes an oil slick midday. 

So what do you do? 

Powder? 
Blotters?

Let me fill you in on some tips to help control the shine. 
Remember, a little shine is okay! Our skin is a living organ and it's okay to not be totally matted down as that's not very natural looking. But we don't love being shiny all over.... 
 It's about finding the happy medium :) 

Step 1: Moisturize your skin! 

I have clients tell me all the time that because they are so oily, they avoid putting moisturizer on. They think it just adds to the "greasiness." 
This is so counter productive! 
Your skin craves moisture. Internally and externally (so drink plenty of water!!!!). When you neglect your skin of moisturizer, your skin actually freaks out and starts over producing oil as a way to "hydrate" your skin. 

It's so important that you find a lightweight moisturizer (preferably one with SPF), to wear throughout the day.  

I like this one from Mario Badescu 
$28


Something to keep in mind, it may take a month or two for your skin to adjust to the change. 

Step 2: Blot your skin.

Blotting papers are your friend! 
They are great to keep in your bag for midday touch ups. Regardless of whether or not you're wearing makeup, these babies immediately absorb the oil. 
I prefer blotting papers without powder in them. 

I am loving these Clean and Clear Blotting Papers

Step 3: Apply Anti-shine

There are lots of great mattifying products to choose from. They are generally a silicone based product (usually colorless, otherwise they have a slight tint). You can apply to your skin before makeup or after--as a touch up rather than powder. 

I recently fell in love with Face to Face Super Matte Antishine
$28
Simply tap onto your skin using your fingers for a touch up, or brush onto skin before makeup.

Step 4: Powder

I always leave powder as a last resort. If you powder yourself all day, you will end up having a caked on face of makeup! Use steps 1-3 daily and if you blot and tap on the antishine and still feel like you need a little extra matting, you can apply a bit of powder. 

For touching up it's convenient to just get a powder compact that is your color or colorless. 

Here's a great pressed powder from Makeup Forever
$22
I always suggest pressing the powder onto the skin with a puff, or cotton pad, and then dusting off any excess with a brush. Otherwise a small brush is ideal for powdering those tough oily spots! (around the nose anyone??)

I hope these tips are helpful and that you can start your hunt for the perfect products for YOU

Remember to stay hydrated, eat well, and blot! 




No comments:

Post a Comment