Sunday, March 6, 2016

Deodorant Free...


I gave up wearing deodorant two years ago, and let me tell you, it's not as stinky as you'd think :) 

I've always had an awareness of what I put on and in my body. 
I never used antiperspirants, you need to sweat- it's your body's way of cooling off. So restricting your body of this with chemicals, was definitely not an option. 

I used commercial deodorants for years in my youth- paranoid about smelling, or sweating. But as I've gotten older, you learn to accept that this is a natural body occurrence. 
It's healthy. And honestly, who cares? Everybody sweats! 

Obviously I don't want to smell bad, but I also don't want to douse my body in chemicals. Especially in such a delicate area of the underarms.

And so the search for the perfect natural deodorant began...
I tried a handful of different brands from sticks, to gels to powders and none of them I fell in love with. They were either too sticky, or I didn't like the smell, or they stung my underarms after shaving.

Now I've always been one for home remedies (diy face masks anyone?!), so I thought I'd investigate homemade deodorants.

And guess what?
I found a recipe that WORKS!
It's such an easy recipe and it most certainly does the trick. It's 3 ingredients (most of you may have them at home already) and you can add essential oils for a scent if you desire.

Here's the Recipe:
6 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
1/4 cup of Baking Soda
1/4 cup of Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch (I've tried both and they worked the same)
Essential Oils (optional)
*recipe c/o wellnessmama.com

Just mix the ingredients above until you get a creamy consistency. I put mine in an old jar and apply a small amount to each arm. Just be sure to keep it in a cool place so the coconut oil doesn't melt!

Some other tips for smelling fresh as a daisy...
Eat Clean. 
ie; lots of greens!
The more processed foods you eat, the stinkier your sweat. Sounds silly, but it's true. The cleaner you eat the less chemicals your body has to get rid of = less sweat and odor.

So while this post is not glamorous, I hope you found it insightful and useful!



No comments:

Post a Comment