Monday, February 25, 2013

Oscar 2013 Makeup Trend...

Last night I watched the Oscars with anticipation and hope of some breathtaking looks and trends.
 What did I expect? 
Looking back at Fashion Week this year we saw a lot of Color! (which you can read about HERE.)
So of course I was expecting some bold lips or washes of color on the eye--Graphic liner was huge at Fashion week as well, so I was really expecting to see some exciting looks walking down the red carpet. 

Overall?

I was underwhelmed! 
I felt like everyone played it super conservative and safe. Mind you, most everyone looked great, but it was boring! No one really stepped out and WOW'd me. 

Wanna know some of my favorite looks of the evening? 
Watch me on WCIU's You & Me This Morning as I talk about some of my favorite looks of the evening:



The leading trend of the evening was definitely a clean/fresh natural face with some emphasis on the eyes. 

In honor of last night's hottest trend, I showed up to the station rocking out that look! 
So here is a sneak peek at how to get the look: 


Here is a close up of the makeup look


 Eye Detail...







A little blurry, but you get the idea :) 



 Products used:

 1. MAC cosmetics Eye shadows-- Names of colors listed below-- 
2. L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara in Blackest black
3. Ardell #120 Demi Wispies
4. Laura Geller Makeup Spackle Primer
5. Makeup Forever Face and Body Foundation #20
6. Tarte Cosmetics Cheek stain in Vivid
7. Makeup Forever HD Powder
8. MAC Strobe Cream
9. Makeup Forever Aqua Lip #1C
10. MAC Lipglass in Nymphette (top) and Lust.
*Product sources below*



My Concealer Palette-- I used #1 to highlight, #2 for extra coverage, #3 for contouring and I also used the concealer to the left of #2 for my under eyes. It's Eve Pearl's Salmon Concealer in Medium :) 


 MAC Shadow Colors used for this look. 



Tools used for this look:


1. Eve Pearl Foundation Brush
2. Crown Brush Concealer Brush
3. Beauty Blender
4. Crown Brush: PP9 Oval Foundation brush
5. Crown Brush: C330 Blending Crease
6. MAC #217 
7. Crown Brush-- Don't remember the #!
8. Crown Pointed Lip Brush
9. Trucco Eye brow brush 


Step by Step Instruction

First thing's first, always hydrate! Moisturize that skin!

EYES: I always do eyes first-- I feel it makes for a cleaner application.

That said, I did prep the eyes with Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer (not pictured). Over that I packed on Vanilla with the #5 brush all over the lid up to the brow. 
From there, I took the #6 brush and lightly placed Naked Lunch and Shroom on the inner tear ducts of the eye, across the lid and then packed it on the brow bone. 
I then took the #7 brush with Mulch eye shadow, and place it on the outer corner of the eye. I create a "V" with this darker tone. From there I take my #6 brush again and use it to gently buff out and soften the mulch. 
Taking the same brush, I dipped it into the Cork shadow and placed it within the "V" shape I created with the mulch, and extended it across the crease. 

Buff until you reach the desired finish. 

I was pulling inspiration from Charlize Theron's Oscar look last night:

She has a super clean face, with some soft neutrals on her eyes, and loads of lashes! 
That was my goal. 

So, I skipped the liner :) 

I curled my lashes and applied a coat of mascara. From there I applied the Ardell Demi Wispies (I'd trimmed them down and cut them to fit my eye), using DUO adhesive in clear.

FACE: I applied my primer, followed by my foundation. 
To apply foundation, I usually go in with the #1 brush and then buff it out with a beauty blender or sponge. 

After applying fountain, I go back with concealer. 
Applying make up in that order allows you to wear less. 

I took brush #2 and the #1 concealer and ran it along the bridge of my nose, up to the center of my forehead and just over my brows. I also used this on my chin. Because this is a bit lighter than what a concealer for me should be, I use it to highlight areas of my face. 
Buff into skin with Beauty Blender. 

Then, I took the same brush and placed the salmon concealer under my eyes (covering any blueish tint from dark circles)
I took concealer #3 to conceal any other redness on the face. 
I used concealer #4 (the very dark tone), as a way to contour my face. So I ran it along the hollows of my cheeks, my temples and the sides of my nose. 
Buff gently into the skin. 

Cheeks:
I then took Tarte's Cheek Stain and rubbed a tiny amount onto the apples of my cheeks with my finger-- blending it up towards the ear but focusing the bulk of the color on the apples. 

Set with a light dusting of powder using a #4 Brush.

I then took MAC's strobe cream on my finger and gently dabbed it on the highest point of my cheekbones, my cupid's bow, and just above my brow. 

I LOVE using this as a highlighter!
It's super creamy and is more opalescent than glittery, so it sits well on the skin and is soft enough to catch the light without being too distracting. 

From there, I lined my lips with Makeup Forever Aqua Lip #1C-- filling them in as well. 
Then I took about equal amounts of each gloss and brushed them on with brush #8, leaving my lips with a natural looking lip- something I'm NOT used to!  :) 

To finish off my look, I dipped my #10 brush in the Espresso eye shadow to softly fill in my brows. 

Ta-Da! 


The key to creating a soft natural look, is to use lightweight products.
Allowing your skin to shine through makes all the difference in the world-- so take care of that skin! 
All of the products I used for this look are ones I absolutely adore. So if you're in need of some new things, give these gems a shot :) 

XOXO JEN

Product Sources: 

1 comment: